Child Custody Modifications

At Koiles Pratt Family Law Group, our attorneys have helped countless Massachusetts parents modify their original child custody orders. Before seeking a custody order modification, it is important to understand the circumstances required to request one.

When Custody Orders Can Be Modified

Custody orders can be modified in the case of a “material and substantial change in the circumstances of the parties,” or if it is in the child’s best interests. Examples of material and substantial changes include:

  • A noncustodial parent demonstrates an improvement in finances, health or living conditions.
  • A child has either changed or is requesting a change of the time they spend with either parent.
  • Either parent wants to relocate within Massachusetts or out of state.
  • A custodial parent interferes with the noncustodial parent’s visitation rights.
  • A custodial parent is unable to care for the child due to chemical dependency or failing mental or physical health.
  • The parties agree to a modification.

If any of the above situations apply, you can modify the existing child custody orders. Please contact our experienced family law attorneys to discuss your rights and your child’s best interests. Contact us or call us at 978-744-7774.

Ready to protect your interests, assets and relationships.

Please contact us to discuss your family legal matters by calling 978-744-7774 or using the form below.

Fields marked with an * are required

    Salem Law Office

    70 Washington Street, Suite 210
    Salem, MA 01970